About 15 years ago, Prof. Donald K. MacCallum put together an extremely useful hands-on histology lab manual that was based on his experience of teaching histology to many generations of University of Michigan students. Unfortunately, that original digital manual is no longer compatible with today’s computer systems. The authors have updated and revised the original manual as an iBook version that allows histology learners to link the theoretical knowledge acquired in lectures and textbooks with the appearance of cells and organs as seen through a light microscope. Starting with a chapter on staining methods and histological artifacts, the four volumes cover all basic tissues, organs and organ systems of the human body. Images of superb histological preparations produced by Prof. MacCallum are accompanied by a concise description that correlates the appearance of these tissues at the light microscope level with their cellular organization and functions. Brief multiple choice quizzes at the end of each chapter reinforce major learning objectives. “Don MacCallum’s Michigan Histology” helps the beginner, as well as the more experience student of histology, to navigate and comprehend the complexity of human tissues at the microscopic scale.
• 26 chapters covering all basic tissues and major organs/organ systems of human histology
• More than 1100 high quality histological images on 724 pages
• 236 image-based multiple choice review questions
• Volume 1: Introduction, Epithelia, Connective Tissue, Cartilage, Bone, Blood
• Volume 2: Muscle, Nervous System, Eye, Ear, Circulatory System, Lymphatic System
• Volume 3: Respiratory System, Integument, Oral Glands, Oral Cavity, Gastrointestinal Tract, Liver, Gall Bladder & Pancreas
• Volume 4: Endocrine Organs, Urinary System, Male Reproductive System, Female Reproductive System, Mammary Gland
“Don MacCallum’s Michigan Histology” is complemented by the Michigan Histology Virtual Slide Collections, which can be accessed for free via the Internet at http://histology.med.umich.edu/schedule/medical.
Volume 1 of this 4 Volume lab manual set is concerned with the Histology of human tissues. It covers Epithelia, General Connective Tissue, Cartilage, Bone and Blood with a descriptive text and pictures.